29 Beverly Road
Designed by the first woman architect registered by the Brooklyn Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, construction of this home was completed in March, 1927. After the Vanderbilt estate was sub-divided, Olive Tjaden, designed this Georgian Colonial-Italianette style home and provided construction oversight, something that was not usually accomplished at that time by a woman.
Ms. Tjaden was 15 when she was admitted to Cornell’s architecture program. Finished with the program by the age of 19, she was only 21 years old when she designed this particular home. Many of the records indicate that Ms. Tjaden worked for Erda, Lamb and Weisman in Mineola at the time of the design. (However, the original blueprints do not indicate a relationship between her and Erda, Lamb, and Weisman.) Ms. Tjaden designed over 400 homes in Garden City between 1920′s-1940′s. She was also chosen to plan a house for the New York World’s Fair. For decades, she was considered the most prominent woman architect in the Northeast.
Much to the surprise of the latest owners, many of the home’s original features still exist. In addition to the original hardwood floors, the distinctive French doors and sun deck on the front of the house, moldings, interior French doors, wavy glass windows, Butler’s pantry, outdoor lighting, and bathroom fixtures were all original. Research into the various owners of this home continues. Neighborhood rumors abound that perhaps the first owner was a reported gangster and later in the 1960′s a “famous magician that appeared on the Ed Sullivan show” lived there. A set of the original blueprints for this home is on file with the Olive Tjaden archives at Cornell University in Ithaca.
Do you have information to add? Then please contact Diane Holliday.
Last Modified on May 11, 2012, at 07:25 PM by LPR