Academic Credit Internship Eligibility Prerequisites
- Students must have completed one semester of study at Dowling College
- Students must have completed at least 12 credits in their major course of study
- Students must have at least one 3-credit elective available
- Students must have an overall GPA of 2.6 and a discipline-specific GPA of 3.0
- Psychology majors must have a GPA of 3.2 in their major course of study, a minimum of 30 credits completed at Dowling College and junior or senior standing.
- Communication majors must have an overall accumulation of 75 credits with a GPA of 2.6 and a discipline-specific accumulation of 12 credits with a GPA of 3.0 completed at Dowling College.
- Sports Management majors must take a 12 credit practicum, which requires a minimum of 400 hours in a full-time sport industry placement, either paid or unpaid. Students must have an overall accumulation of 100 credits and a discipline-specific accumulation of 18 credits.
- Visit Career Services (located in FH 106) to meet with an Internship Associate and determine your eligibility.
- Complete an intake form and discuss the type of organization/industry where you would like to gain career-related experience.
- Attend a free Resume Development & Cover Letter Writing workshop.
- Submit your resume online at dowling-csm.symplicity.com for review and approval.
- Schedule an interview for an available internship opportunity. An Internship Associate may assist the employer with interview coordination for pre-screened candidates.
- Obtain an offer letter from the employer. This is VERY IMPORTANT. An internship cannot be processed until an official offer letter on company letterhead is obtained.
- Complete requisite paperwork based on the internship type.
- Register for the course when applicable. Please note that internships for academic credit must be registered within the first six weeks of the academic term in which the internship is arranged.
- Students enrolled in a non-credit internship (paid or non-paid) must meet with an Internship Associate throughout the internship term.
- Complete academic coursework before the conclusion of the semester/internship when applicable. Faculty assigned grades are only released upon verification of completed coursework by Career Services.