|Personal Firewalls / Routers at the Residences
Please use software firewalls like ZoneAlarm, McAfee, or the one built into Windows for additional security. Hardware firewalls and routers from vendors like Linksys, NetGear, and Belkin, among others are not permitted in the Residences.
ROUTERS ARE NOT PERMITTED in the Residences for the following reasons:
- There is wired and wireless access available to every student in the Residences. There is no need for routers.
- Your wireless access point may interfere with other wireless connectivity on campus.
- Students with laptops, your neighbors, may connect to your router, which means:
- They'll steal bandwidth from you - your connection will be slower,
- You're responsible for their behavior - if they do something that causes us to disconnect them, YOU will be disconnected as well.