|Updating Java on Your Computer
Network Operations Center -- John James, 03/10/2006
Updating Java on Your Computer
The version of Java provided by Microsoft in Internet Explorer does not work with some sites. Follow these instructions to install Sun's version of Java. Sun are the originators of the Java language.
- Go to http://java.sun.com
- On the right side of the page, you will see “Popular
- Click the link that says “J2SE 5.0”
- On the subsequent download page, look down to the middle
of the page and find the link that says “Download JRE 5.0 Update 6”
- Click that link.
- On the subsequent page, check the box next to “Accept
- That removes the license section.
- The first set of download links says “Windows Platform”
- Click the first link that says “Windows Offline
- Click “save”
- On the “Save as” dialog box, pick a spot on your hard
drive to place the file.
- Save the file to that location (this will take some
time; it’s a relatively large file).
- Go to the location to which you saved the file and
double click the file to run it
(it will be called
- Leave the default setting as “Typical Setup”
- Click “Accept”
- Once the install is done, click “finish.”
- Reboot your computer for good measure.