|Blackboard: Import Content
Network Operations Center
Abdul Qureshi - 6/2012
How to import content into new shell:
In each new semester for which you are teaching a particular class, you may have content that you want to export from the old shell and import to your new shell. Exporting from the OLD Blackboard system (200809 and earlier) is explained at at this page. Exporting from the NEW Blackboard system (200902 and later) is explained at at this page. When you have completed exporting your content, follow the instructions below to import it into your new shell.
You may also request that the Blackboard Team carry out the process for you. Just complete this form (requires Dowling email/network login).
- Browse to http://blackboard.dowling.edu and login, if you have not already done so. Use your network/email username and password. If you have trouble logging in please contact the Help Desk at 244-3445.
- On the My Institution tab, at the right under My Courses, click the class shell you want to import into. We will use Tim Kelly's Blackboard Practice Shell as our example. (Note: your shell will be marked unavailable unless you have followed the instructions here to make it available.)
- On the lower left under Control Panel click on the double-arrows to the right of Packages and Utilities.
- Next click on Import Package / View Logs , the last option.
- Now click on Import Package
- Under 2 Select a Package, click the Browse button.
Make sure you are looking in the folder where you saved the exported file. If you type the word "export" next to the File name field at the bottom, you can select your exported file more quickly.
- Under item 3 Select Course Materials, check ONLY the boxes checked in this example. Other options may or may not copy correctly to the new shell. You may select fewer boxes than these, but do not select more.
- Click the Submit button.
You may need to wait a few minutes for the operation to complete.
Blackboard will tell you that your content is in the process of being imported:
- In a few minutes, when the operation has completed, you should receive an email similar to this one below. After receiving the email, return to this screen and click OK at the bottom to continue.
- Now check that your content has imported: click your course name at the top, below the tabs.
For example, click Course Documents or Assignments on the left menu.