|Blackboard: Export Content
Network Operations Center
Abdul Qureshi - 6/2012
How to export content from Old Blackboard:
When we upgraded from Blackboard Basic (Old Blackboard) to Blackboard Enterprise, we kept the new system "clean": we did not move content between systems, so that the only shells which were created are those from Term 200902 forward. This means that you must export your shell content from Old Blackboard and import it to Blackboard Enterprise. Exporting is explained below. When you have completed exporting your content, follow the link at the bottom of this page to import it into Blackboard Enterprise.
You may also request that the Blackboard Team carry out the process for you. Just complete this form (requires network login).
- Browse to http://blackboard.dowling.edu and click the link at the bottom of the page for Old Blackboard. (Here we highlighted it inside a red box.)
- Login at OldBB with your OLD login credentials, which were not automatically linked to your email username and password. If you have trouble logging in please contact the Help Desk at 244-3445.
- On the My Institution tab, at the right under My Courses, click the class shell you want to export. We will use Tim Kelly's Blackboard Practice Shell as our example.
- On the left, under Tools, click Control Panel.
- Lower-left, under Course Options, click Export Course.
- Click the Export button.
- Under item 2 Select Course Materials, check ONLY the boxes checked in this example. Other options will not copy correctly to the new system. You may select fewer boxes than these, but do not select more.
- Scroll down and click the Submit button.
Blackboard will tell you that your content is in the process of being exported:
In a few minutes, when the operation has completed, you should receive an email similar to this one below. After receiving the email, return to this screen and click OK at the bottom to continue.
- You will now see the the export file. Click on your newly-exported file to save it.
- Do NOT click the Open button: make sure you SAVE the file.
- It's OK to save in your My Documents folder, which is the default. The filename will begin with "ExportFile". Click the Save button.
- Important: check the file size (outlined below in our example). It must NOT exceed 200MB or your import will fail. In our example, we have exported 6.79MB, which is fine.
Click the Close button to dismiss the message.
- Click the Logout button at the top of the screen to complete the Export process.
- Proceed to this page to Import your course content into Blackboard 9.1.