Network Operations Center
Abdul Qureshi - 12/2008
New Procedures for Blackboard Effective December 27, 2008
What you need to know:
- Logging in:
- Use your Dowling Email username & password.
- Students can reset their passwords by visiting username.dowling.edu. Student & Faculty password reset can also be done by the Help Desk (x3445) or Academic Computing (x3301 or x3360).
- Accessing courses:
- CLEAN SLATE: no shells will be moved from old to new Blackboard. Old shells can be accessed here.
- Blackboard Team can copy content from an old shell to a new shell on request here. Or you can export/import your content, following the instructions here.
- A new shell is automatically created for every course. No shells will be recycled.
- All instructors are automatically assigned to their classes.
- All students are automatically enrolled into all their classes.
- Classes become available (visible) to students ONLY when instructor makes them available.
- Course shell size is limited to 200 MB.
- Faculty still use BannerWeb to submit grades. Submitting grades from Blackboard is not implemented.
- Students are never removed from a class:
- If a student drops a class, the next day the class becomes invisible to the student.
- Once a student's grades are submitted, the class becomes invisible to the student.
- Six weeks after the end of the semester, the class automatically becomes invisible (unavailable) to ALL students.
- New "Dowling-brand" look of shells by default.
- Can now use Building Blocks to add features to Blackboard. Visit Blackboard Building Blocks for details.