|Access Banner from Home
Install VPN software:
- Browse to
https://vpn.dowling.edu/sslvpn.html. If you see a security warning you can go ahead and accept the connection.
Login with your Dowling email username and password.
- Download WG-MVPN-SSL.exe if your home computer is running Windows;
otherwise choose the "WG-MVPN-SSL.dmg" version for Mac computers. Logout when you're done and close your browser.
- Run the "exe" or "dmg" program to complete the installation.
If you are using a College-issued laptop you have additional options and responsibilities:
- VPN connection:
- Run the Mobile VPN software whose icon looks like this:
- It asks for some information:
Fill in the Server: vpn.dowling.edu
Fill in your Dowling username and password.
- Click Connect and wait for the tray icon to indicate that you're connected:
- Access Banner:
- Open your web browser: Internet Explorer is preferred
- In the address field, type in http://banner.dowling.edu and press Enter.
If you do not have Java installed on your computer, you will be asked to install it. You will see this yellow bar at the top of your screen.
If asked, right-click the yellow bar and click Install. Accept the default options and install Java.
- Banner will now load and ask you for your Banner username and password.
- You may now use Banner as though you were sitting at your desk. When you are finished you should (a) log out of Banner and (b) disconnect the VPN:
- Log out of Banner as you would in your office.
- Disconnect the VPN by right-clicking the Mobile VPN icon in your tray (lower-right) and selecting Disconnect. Then right-click it again and choose Exit.
- You must never use the laptop in a public café-type setting, e.g. Starbucks. These locations are extremely insecure.
- You may be able to login with the Novell client to access your network drives. There are many factors that determine how satisfactory this capability will be, so use with caution.