Research Leadership Learning Podcast
Welcome to the Research Leadership Learning Podcast from Dowling College's Research Leadership Learning Center.
On this podcast we explore many fields of knowledge related to leadership in social agencies, bringing you conversations with teachers, principals, superintendents and others working in and around the Long Island region, including Dowling faculty and Dowling doctoral candidates. By sharing research and knowledge from the field, we hope to develop a profound human awareness among leaders of social agencies in Nassau and Suffolk Counties and beyond.
Dr. Judith Chen
Shownotes with related links:
What makes a school board effective? In this episode, Dr. Manley speaks with Dr. Judith Chen on the results of her doctoral research at Dowling into the governance practices of school boards in urban, suburban, and rural areas. Along with Dr. Al Inserra, who helped design this national study, they discuss the factors that contribute to effectiveness: teamwork, assessment, financial health, and more.
- Chen, J. A. (2008) The role of school boards, their governance practices and sense of effectiveness in suburban, urban, and
rural settings in the United States. Ed.D. dissertation, Dowling College, United States -- New York. Retrieved October 14,
2008, from Dissertations & Theses @ Dowling College database. (Publication No. AAT 3295358).
- Hess, M. (2001). School boards at the dawn of the 21st century. Report prepared for the National School Boards Association, University of Virginia.
- Land, D. (2002) Local school boards under review: Their role and effectiveness in relation to students' academic
achievement. Center for Research on the Education of Students Placed at Risk, Report 56, United States Department of
- National School Boards Association
- American School Board Journal (published by the NSBA)
Music: Mozart's Oboe Quartet in F after K496 - Allegretto-by American Baroque courtesy of Magnatunes.