Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
What is TAP?
The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) administered by New York State Higher Education Services (NYSHESC) helps eligible New York state residents pay tuition at approved schools in New York State. An annual TAP Award can range up to $5,000. TAP is a grant and it does not have to be paid back.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for TAP, a student must:
- Be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Be a legal resident of New York State.
- Study full time (at least 12 credits per semester) at an approved institution in New York State.
- Have graduated from high school, or have a GED, or have passed a federally-approved exam.
- Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing.
- Not be in default on a student loan guaranteed by HESC and not be in default on any repayment of State awards.
- Meet income limitations.
Why is my TAP award estimated?
Dowling College estimates a TAP award for all New York State residents who file a FAFSA. This estimate is based on the income information reported on the FAFSA.
What determines the amount of the award?
The award amount is determined by:
- Academic year in which first payment of TAP or any state award is received
- Type of postsecondary institution and the tuition charge
- Combined family NYS net taxable income
- Financial status (dependent or independent)
- Other family members enrolled
What must I do now?
When you filed your FAFSA you were prompted to complete a TAP application through HESC, if you did so, no further action is required as long as Dowling College’s is the school on your TAP application. If you did not complete the TAP application, please go towww.hesc.com to file a TAP application.
How can I view my TAP application status or change my school code?
You may view your application status and/or make school code changes online by visiting www.hesc.com, or calling 1-888-NYS-HESC.
What is Dowling College’s school code?
Dowling College Undergraduate: 0011
What are the Academic Requirements for Tap?
Before being certified for each payment you are required to have completed a certain number of credits during the previous semester, accrued a certain number of cumulative credits and maintained a certain cumulative GPA or above. Academic progress is checked once each semester. The Tap Chart for each payment is noted below:
TAP Chart Higher Education Opportunity Program
* Credits can include no-credit remedial; course work requires grades of A-F. Grades of I, W, WF do not meet the requirements.