Federal Work Study Program

What is Federal Work Study?

The Federal Work-Study program is a form of self-help financial assistance available to college students.  The program funds part-time employment opportunities for both on and off-campus jobs, thereby providing eligible students with the ability to earn money to offset some college expenses.

Who is eligible?

Eligibility for the Federal Work-Study program is determined by the Financial Aid Department and is based upon financial need.  To be considered for Federal Work Study, you must be an undergraduate student and must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If you have any questions regarding this Federal Work-Study program, please call the Financial Aid Department at (631) 244-1818

What is the Pay?

Presently the rate of pay for work-study students is $8.75 per hour.  All work-study students are paid bi-weekly by check or direct deposit.  While school is in session students are permitted to work a maximum of twenty hours a week.  During school breaks students may work full-time, based upon availability of FWS funds and departmental need.

Where Can You Work?

Students opting to apply for the on-campus work-study program may be placed in one of the department’s on-campus and take advantage of the convenience and flexibility of the on-campus program.

Students interested in the off-campus work-study program may choose to apply to one of the following:

    • America Reads ProgramThis program involves tutoring children grades 1-12.
  • JLD-Job Location Development ProgramThe Job Location and Development (JLD) Program develops off-campus job opportunities in the local community. Positions posted with the JLD program may or may not be related to your current major but are still beneficial because they help you build your resume and develop transferable skills. Job locations are at non-profit organizations.

When can I start working?

Students can begin working as early as July 1.  Once the student completes the application and submits all necessary documentation, you may begin to work. Applications are posted on Dowling website at  http://www.dowling.edu/mydowling/forms/stu-index.html.

All students must visit Office of Human Resources to complete the appropriate forms.

  • Students can complete an application at the Office of Human Resources located in the Kramer Science Center. They can be reached by phone at 631-244-3020.

How do I monitor my Work-Study Grant?

Follow the steps listed below to monitor amount of work-study on our University Web site.

  • Log onto Dowling College(Student Portal)by providing your Dowling ID and six-digit PIN NUMBER
  • Click on the Financial Aid option
  • Click on My Award Information
  • Click on Award History
  • Select the Current Academic Year
  • Under the funds column locate Federal Work-Study; subtract “paid to date” from “amount” to calculate your amount remaining

Please Note:

  • Awarding of Federal work-study does not guarantee you will get a job.  There are a limited number of jobs available so the earlier you submit your application the greater your chances are for getting a job.
  • Federal Work-Study earnings are considered taxable income, and you may be required to file a tax return.  Your Work-Study is a Federal grant, and you may not earn more than what you have been determined to be eligible for.
  • A student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better and complete 12 credits per semester to participate in the work-study program.  If your cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0 or you do not maintain 12 credits while working you can be terminated from employment.
  • Due to limited availability, all students are required to respond by 30 days after the start of classes or their grant offer will automatically be canceled.
  • If you have any questions regarding this Federal Work-Study program, please call the Financial Aid Department at 631-244-1818