Dr. Nicholas J. Mauro
Professor of Management and Quality
Academic and Professional Experience
Academic and Professional Achievements and Publications
Additional Papers Presented
Hot Off The Press:
"Inside A Quality Economy" by Nicholas and Joyce Mauro includes excerpts from his in-depth discussions with renowned economist Dr. Milton Friedman. It is available by contacting the authors via the e-mail email@example.com
and mailing addresses at left.
Townsend School of Business
Department of Management and Leadership
Racanelli Center Rm. 560
150 Idle Hour Boulevard
Oakdale, NY 11769
Dr. Mauro's Bio...
Nicholas J. Mauro, Ph.D.
Dr. Mauro is currently a Professor of Management and Quality at Dowling College where he teaches the graduate simulation as part of the Masters in Business Administration program. It was with his guidance, that Dowling's Total Quality Management curriculum was officially established. He was also the creator, writer, producer and host of the television series, "Total Quality Management in America," which emanated from Cablevision of Brookhaven on Long Island.click for complete bio...
PH.D.: New York University
Business Ethics, Organizational Behavior, and Culture
MBA: Long Island University
Organizational Behavior and HRM
B.S.: Fordham University
Economics with minors in English and Philosophy
Research in Progress:
- A meeting was held with Dr. Anna J. Schwartz at her office in New
York City at the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) to
further my research on a quality economy. Dr. Schwartz was Dr.
Milton Friedmans research colleague at NBER when their world
famous research was assembled that was the basis for their
landmark book: A Monetary History of the United States 1867-1960.
I intend to return to speak to Dr. Schwartz again.
- One meeting has been held with Dr. Alan S. Blinder, who was a Federal
Reserve Bank Vice Chairman during the 1990s, to discuss the economic
performance of the 1990s. This meeting was held at his office at
Princeton University. I am attempting to meet with Dr. Blinder again.
- Dr. Milton Friedman
Two meetings took place at Dr. Milton and Rose Friedmans home in San Francisco in 2002 and 2004. For approximately 6 years an ongoing
dialogue was exchanged in person, through mail, and email with the late Nobel Laureate, Dr. Milton Friedman. This dialogue was to further research on a quality economy that continues about Dr. Walter A. Shewharts ideas on statistical process control, Dr. Demings theory of profound knowledge, Dr. Peter Senges thesis on systems thinking and Dr. Friedmans thesis on free market capitalism. On November 17, 2006, Dr. Friedman passed away.
Total Quality Management in America: Cablevision
Dr. Mauro is currently a Professor of Management at Dowling College where he teaches Leadership in Total Quality Management as part of its Masters in Business Administration program. It was with his guidance, that Dowling's Total Quality Management curriculum was officially established in 1991. He was also the creator, writer, producer and host of the television series, "Total Quality Management in America," which emanated from Cablevision of Brookhaven on Long Island (1992, Channel 6).
- Bus 6394 - Graduate Simulation (MBA)
- Bus 6373 - Leadership, Business Ethics and Quality (MBA)
- Bus 6372 - Total Quality Management II (MBA)
- Bus 6371 - Total Quality Management I (MBA)
- Bus 6222 - Government and Business (MBA)
- Mgt 4181 - Business Policy and Strategy Simulation
- Mgt 3146 - Organizational Behavior
- Mgt 3111 - Managerial Economics
- Mgt 2075 - Personnel Management
- Mgt 1011 - Introduction to Management
- Mkt 2046 - Retail Business of Management
- Mkt 1033 - Principles of Marketing
- Management Safeguards Inc.
- Dowling Business Institute.
Academic and Professional Experience:
Dr. Mauro has also taught at Fordham University, City University, and Dominican College. Prior to joining the faculty at Dowling he held the position as President/Chief Executive Officer for MarineLand at Minneford on City Island, and prior to M at M, he was a Director of Large Plant Operations in New York City.
Academic and Professional Achievements and Publications
Total Quality Management Television Series:
- Dr. Mauro produced a television series entitled "Total Quality Management in America" which he created, wrote and hosted. This series originated on Long Island and was first aired on TCI Cable of Brookhaven (Channel 6).
- In December of 2006, Dr. Mauro along with Chris Kretz ,Dowling Library's official pod-caster, released Podcast #17 on his experiences conducting research with the late Dr. Milton Friedman, Nobel Laureate and free market champion.
- "Inside a Quality Economy" (volume 1).
- "The TAO of Deming Quality." Unpublished
Manuscripts in Progress (Insert NEW)
- "Inside a Quality Economy" (volume 2).
- "Reconciling Dr. Friedman and Dr. Deming's Ideas."
- "Speaking to Giants."
- "Economics from the Viewpoint of Quality Control."
- "A Perspective of Dr. Deming's Theory of Profound Knowledge," was published as a monograph by the British Deming Association for circulation in Great Britain and throughout Europe. Arrangements were then made for the Deming monograph to be published for circulation in the United States by Statistical Process Control Press. This monograph is still utilized at the graduate and undergraduate level to provide students with an understanding of Dr. Deming's world recognized theories on quality.
Publications in Juried Journals:
- "The Deming Leadership Method: A Behavioral and Technical Approach" authored by Nicholas and Joyce Mauro in Cross Cultural Management Journal: An International Journal. Volume 6, Number 4, 1999
- "The Deming Leadership Method and Profound Knowledge: A Global Prescription" authored by Nicholas and Joyce Mauro in Cross Cultural Management Journal: An International Journal. Volume 6, Number 3, 1999.
Publications in Juried Proceedings:
- "Dr. Deming's Theory: A Technical Perspective" authored by Charles Rudiger, Nicholas and Joyce Mauro. Paper delivered at the Northeast Business and Economics Association Annual Conference in Rhode Island. Abstract published in proceedings, p. 57.
- "A Technical Approach to Dr. Deming's Leadership Method and Profound Knowledge Theory," authored by Nicholas and Joyce Mauro. Paper delivered at the
15th Annual Conference of the International Association of Management in Toronto, Ontario. Abstract published in proceedings p. 126.
- Delivered paper at the Northeast Business and Economics Association Conference, "A Behavioral Approach to Dr. Deming's Leadership Method And Profound Knowledge Theory" authored by Nicholas and Joyce Mauro at the Winwatch Hotel in Hauppauge. Abstract published in proceedings p. 149.
- "Achieving American Global Leadership Through a Total Quality Management Curriculum in America Schools of Business," authored by Nicholas Mauro, and Charles Rudiger. Paper delivered at the 14th Annual Conference of the International Association of Management in Toronto, Ontario. Published in proceedings pp. 178-85.
Papers in Progress:
- "Reconciling Dr. Friedman and Dr. Deming's Teachings."
- "The Mistake of Airline Deregulation."
- "America and Long Island's Energy Embarrassment."
- "America's Energy Fiasco."
- "A Macro-micro Approach to Global Economics Using Dr. Shewhart's View of Statistical Method from the Viewpoint of Quality Control."
- "Deming's Method, Total Quality Management and the Legal Question Raised by Labor Unions."
Additional Papers Presented:
- Presented paper at Dowling College on "Capitalism and Globalization" for Dowling College's Annual Theme 2007/2008.
- Attended the Northeast Business and Economics Association Conference at Danfords Inn in Port Jefferson, NY to deliver a paper on Dr. Milton Friedman and my search for "a quality economy."
- Attended Northeast Decision Sciences Institute Conference NEDSI) in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Paper presented, "In Search of a Quality Economy" Published in proceedings.
- Attended Annual Conference of the American
Society for Quality, Long Island Section on Long
Island. Paper presented, "A Quality Economic System."
- Attended the International Computer Science Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Nevada. Paper presented, "Business Ethics and the Curriculum."
- Attended IACBE Conference in Baltimore. Paper presented "How to Build a Business Ethics Curriculum."
- Attended ASQC Conference on Long Island. Paper presented: "Quality and the dot.com Failures."
- Delivered a paper on "Deming's Concept of the Need for Closer Vendor/Supplier Relations With Corporate End-users" to the National Association of Purchasing Management, Hauppauge, NY.
- Delivered a paper at New York Technical Institute with well known author Rafael Aquayo to the Institute of Industrial Engineers, Long Island Chapter #86 entitled: "Deming Lives."
- Delivered a paper on "American Productivity, Global Competition and Human Capital with Education as our Catalyst" to the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Long Island Chapter.
- One of several keynote speakers for BOCES III Division of Instructional, Planning, & Technology Services at their "Elements of Excellence Conference" held at the Smithtown Sheraton Hotel. Paper delivered: "TQM and Dr. Deming's Theory of Profound Knowledge."
- One of the keynote speakers at the National Association of Educational Buyers whose conference theme was "Bridging the Gap: Doing More With Less," held at the Holiday Inn, Fort Lee, N.J. Paper delivered: "TQM, Dr. Deming's Theory of Profound Knowledge and the Emerging Role of the Purchasing Agent."
- Served as the Executive Director of the newly formed "Deming Alliance of Long island" until the Summer of 1996.
- Keynote speaker for a joint session of the Long Island Chapter of the American Society for Quality Control (ASQC) and the Long Island Chapter of the American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS). Paper delivered: "Dr. Deming's Theory of Profound Knowledge." Proceedings were published in ASQC and APICS' Newsletters.
- Keynote speaker at Dowling College to the Dowling Alumni Association. This event marked the inaugural address for the association and for an event of this nature. Paper delivered: "Dr. Deming, the Man and His Philosophy." Proceedings published in Pride.
- "A Quality Economic System," Quality Islander, June 2005, Volume 43, Issue 6, pp. 1,3.
- "In Search of a Quality Economic System," Quality Islander, February 2005, Volume 43, Issue 2, pp.1-2.
- "Why Deming won't work another miracle in America: part 2," Long Business News, (LIBNs), February 3, 1992, p.8.
- "The CEO's role in the journey toward quality," LIBNs, October 21, 1991, p.22.
- "Leadership, quality and LI's future industries," LIBNs, August 12, 1991, p.5.
- "Leadership and the barriers to quality," LIBNs, July 8, 1991, p.8.
- "TQC, CI, MBA, ZD, & SS: Trojan horse(s) of quality," LIBNs, June 10, 1991, p.9.
- "A wake-up call," LIBNs, May 13, 1991, p.10.
- "Capitalism makes no sense," LIBNs, April 22, 1991, p.7.
- "Why Americans refuse Dr. Deming's theories of management," LI Magazine, September 1990, pp. 24-25.
- "Famous quality guru addresses Saturday MBA," Pride, Summer 1990, p.1.
- "Questions of quality on Long Island," LI Magazine, January 1990, p.19.
- "Why Deming won't work another miracle in America," LIBNs, December 4, 1989, p. 26.
- "Quality service and the LI community," LIBNs, November 6, 1989, p. 21.
- "In search of excellence...in the pleasure boat industry," Marine Industry Journal, September 1989, pp. 24, 26, 29.
- "Quality assurance, Japan and the pleasure boat industry" Marine Industry Journal, June 1989, pp. 21, 71.
- "Quality assurance, Japan and the pleasure boat industry" Boat and Motor Dealer Journal, June 1989, pp. 38-39.
- Dissertation abstract on Business Ethics published New York University for local and national distribution to all Alpha Chapter members of Delta Pi Epsilon in New York University Business Education Abstracts 1981-1988 in 1988, p. 46.
- Dissertation abstract on Business Ethics published University of North Texas for local and national distribution by Alpha Epsilon Chapter in Research Issue - 1989 in 1988, p. 17.
- "Employment contracts," The Fordham Balance Sheet, Journal, Volume 5, Number 1, Winter 1983, pp. 24-25.
- "Pinstripes management: inside the Yankee corporation," first edition of a case study book on personnel and organizational behavior of the New York Yankee Corporation, which was the result of five years research, KCC printing division, Fall 1982.
- "The third Yankee dynasty," a revised, in depth, edition of the Yankee Case Study, also accepted by the Harvard Case Clearinghouse, Spring 1981.
- "The Yankee case study," accepted by the Intercollegiate Case Clearinghouse at Harvard University, Fall 1979.
- "Managing for people," honorably mentioned by Business Publications Inc., in text preface for editing collaboration with the authors and publisher, Spring 1979.
- Attended ACIT's Annual Business Leadership Luncheon Awards Luncheon at the Mariott Hotel in Melville. President Gaffney is a Board Member of ACIT.
- Attended The LIA Small Business Council Awards at Crest Hollow Country Club where President Gaffney was recognized as "Advocate of the Year" on Long Island and received this award.
- Attended The Long Island Business Association Breakfast with Governor Spitzer" at the Crest Hollow Country Club at the request of President Gaffney.
April 2004 to present
- Service on the Faculty Integrity Committee
- Attended Development Conference with Mr. Dean Hartman V.P of Smith-Haven Mortgage Corporation of Melville at the request Vice President David Ocha to assist Mr. Hartman to become familiar with the quality concepts of Dr. W.E. Deming. Mr. Hartman is considered to be a major gift prospect who has shared a strong interest in supporting the College's Capital Campaign.
Fall 1997 to Present
- Service as a member of the College Research Committee.
- Selected to serve on sub-committee for analysis of Distance Learning.
- Ad hoc committee to evaluate La Salle acquisition.
- Have been asked by the Dean of Dowling's School of Business to assist with formation of the Institute for Entrepreneurs and have agreed to do so.
- Chairperson of the School of Business data collection committee responsible for SRFS.
- As part of an ongoing relationship several pro-buono seminar's have been held with South Hampton Hospital so that the Development Office might establish a further presence on the East-end of Long Island. This relationship continues to be ongoing.
- Provided the Development Office with the contacts necessary to bring Steve Kaufman to Dowling College as our commencement speaker. Mr. Kaufman is the CEO of Arrow Electronics. At a later date and with further discussion Arrow would also provide Dowling's School of Business with funding for the fourth floor conference room in the Racanelli Center.
- Assisted in having Mr. Carl Klepper, a new board member, join Dowling's Board of Trustees.
- Assisted in writing applications for both the Excelsior Award and an IBM Award for quality management at Dowling College.
- Dowling hosted the 30th Annual Quality Conference of the American Society for Quality Control Conference (ASQC) as a result of my activities in the TQM initiative.
- Elected to serve on the Long Range Planning Committee. Two years service.
- Invited by the editor of Long Island Business News to write a monthly column entitled, "Quality on Long Island."
- Assisted in writing applications for the GTE Lecture Series to acquire funding for a Dowling lecture series in Technology and Ethics.
- Arranged for Dr. W. Edward's Deming to join the Dowling community for a lecture/presentation on "Quality Management, Productivity and Global Competition," on May 14, 1990.
- To help in the overall development of our college and its programs, and to work toward fulfilling its mission, I voluntarily attended New York University Graduate School of Business Administration on Mondays to study under Dr. Deming for nearly six years.
- Attended the American Association of Higher Education's (AAHE) Conference on Assessment and assisted those colleagues who were interested in topic to become better familiar with it.
- In November 2006, I attended a "Symposium on the Millennium Student" sponsored by the Faculty Resource Center of NYU in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- "The IEEE Odyssey 2006: The Speaker and Language Recognition Workshop" sponsored by the Caribbean Artificial Intelligence Group, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Northeast Decision Sciences Institute Conference NEDSI) in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Attended a workshop on "Assessing an Internalization Program: Learning Outcomes" given by the American Council on Education at the 10th North American Conference in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Attended a "Coaching, Leadership/Mentoring and Team-Building Skills" seminar in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Attended the International Computer Science Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Nevada. Paper presented, "Business Ethics and the Curriculum."
- Attended the FLAIR's Conference in Florida on Artificial Intelligence.
- International Association of Collegiate Business Educators Conference on Business Ethics in Collegiate Schools of Business at the Marriott Waterfront Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Attended the International Computer Science Conference, at the Monte Carlo Hotel in Las Vegas. Area if Interest: Quality and Artificial Intelligence.
- Attended the International Computer Science Conference, at the Monte Carlo Hotel in Las Vegas. Area of Interest: Quality and Artificial Intelligence
- Attended the Northeast Business and Economics Association Conference, at the Winwatch Hotel in Hauppauge
- Attended "Teaming for Success on Long Island: 4th Annual Conference" at the Marriott in Melville.
- Attended the "Total Quality Forum's 8th Annual Conference" at the New York Hilton in New York City.
- Attended the American Society for Quality Control's 30th Annual Conference "Quality: the Cornerstone of Success in the 90s" at Dowling College.
- Attended "The 6th Annual Deming Conference for Statisticians" at New York University Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Attended the American Assembly of Collegiate School of Business (AACSB) Annual Conference "Total Quality Management in Business Education" held in St. Louis, MO.
- Attended "The Fifth Annual Deming Conference for Statisticians" at New York University Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Attended "The Deming Management Seminar for Business People and Academicians" as Dr. Deming's guest held in Newport Beach, California. Participated in the seminar as a teacher/learner assistant to Dr. Deming.
- Attended "The Deming Seminar on Quality and Global Competition" as Dr. Deming's guest held in Cincinnati, Ohio. Participated in the seminar as a teacher/learner assistant to Dr. Deming.
- Attended and presented a paper at "The Fourth Annual Deming Conference for Statisticians." I was Dr. Deming's invited guest at this conference at New York University Graduate School of Business Administration. Paper delivered: "Why Deming Won't Work Another Miracle in America."
- Attended The American Association of Higher Education's (AAHE) Fourth Annual Conference on "Assessment in Higher Education" in Atlanta, GA.
- Assisted with Management Curriculum and Course Objectives for the Management discipline.
Spring of 1997
- Assisted with the review of the 1997 management curriculum at both the graduate and undergraduate level. At the graduate level, a review of course objectives is underway in Government and Business (BUS 222) and my views on what these objectives should be have been submitted to the Management chair.
Compared the undergraduate Introduction to Management (MGT 011) course as it
appears at Hofstra and Fordham.
1988 to 1992
- Developed and introduced into our curriculum the concepts in Total Quality Management. As a result of this initiative three new courses were developed and introduced at the graduate level by this faculty member. These three courses make up the nucleus for an MBA in Quality Management and is also offered as a Certificate Program in Quality for all those students who may wish to take additional credits beyond their undergraduate degree or graduate
studies. The three courses developed are:
- BUS 371 Human Management Systems I - QM I.
- BUS 372 Human Management Systems II - QM II.
- BUS 373 Leadership, Business Ethics and Quality.
- Developed and submitted a plan to the Dean of the School of Business designed to expand the current MBA in Total Quality Management Program.
- Revitalized the undergraduate Management Seminar (MGT 185) which was designed to provide our students with an understanding of process leadership, business ethics and quality. Approximately four and one half years ago, Dr. Rudiger, who was then Dean of Business, set in place an accelerated Saturday MBA program that has since become a huge success. I taught the inaugural class and continue to teach in the program.
In Government and Business (BUS 222), I redesigned the course so that our approach would address such issues as: global quality and competition, lobbyists, S & Ls' crisis, and fiscal issues. These issues afforded us an opportunity to merge such concepts as social responsibility, free enterprise, and Adam Smith's ideas as put forth in the "Wealth of Nations." In addition, graduate students are exposed to the importance of the new role government is playing in the global marketplace.
- Assisted in the evaluation of the MBA curriculum by providing the discipline with a description and perspective of what key issues should be dealt with in Business 222, Government and Business.
- Invited by Dowling to attend the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) Annual Conference on "Total Quality Management in Business Education" so that we could effectively evaluate our Quality Management curriculum against other business school programs throughout America. It is noteworthy that we found Dowling to be far ahead of most other schools in the nation.
- Evaluated the Organizational Behavior curriculum MGT 146.
- Evaluated the Management curriculum. At that time, I extended my support to the Management Discipline Coordinator, and to the other members of the Management discipline.
- Assisted in the improvement of our Management Simulation (BUS 394), the capstone course for our MBA student.
- Invited by Dowling to attend the American Association of Higher Education's Fourth Annual Conference on Assessment which was held in Atlanta, Georgia. I accompanied four other members of the Dowling Community.
Management Consulting Activities:
- Management Safeguards, Inc.
- Dowling Business Institute