> John Vargas
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Office: KSC 117
School of Arts & Sciences - Division of Natural Sciences & Mathematics
B.A. - Hunter college (City University of New York) - 1969
M.S. - New York University Graduate School of Engineering and Science - 1971
M.S. - Adelphi University - 1982
Ph.D. - Adelphi University - 1983
MTH 0001A - Introductory Mathematics for College Students
MTH 1002A - Fundamentals of Mathematics
MTH 1006A - Statistics
MTH 1014A - Pre-Calculus
MTH 1021A - Calculus 1
MTH 1022A - Calculus 2
MTH 2023 - Calculus 3
MTH 2103A - Linear Algebra
MTH 2121A - Differential Equations
MTH 3107A - Vector Analysis
MTH 3111A - Mathematical Statistics
MTH 4131A - Advanced Calculus
ASC 4104C - Senior Seminar - Earthquakes
1. Russell J. Hendel and John D. Vargas, "Limits and sin()/ in Pre-Calculus," New York State Mathematics Teachers Journal,
Volume 44, Number 2, Spring 1994, pp.127-129.
2. Russell J. Hendel and John D. Vargas, "Summing Power Series by
Constructing Appropriate Initial Value Problems," The AMATYC Review,
Volume 15, Number 2, Spring 1994, pp. 18-23.
3. "Family and Religious Traditions: A Comparative Study of an
Episcopalian and a Reform Jewish Congregation," Susanne Bleiberg Seperson
and John D. Vargas, Proceedings from conference entitled: 1992 World
Conference on the family, Ohio State University.
A Brief Listing of the Talks Presented
- "Applied Mathematics and Seismology" - Talk delivered at Marist College
- "The Mathematics of Seismology" - Talk delivered at Marist College
- "Matrices and Their Applications" - Talk delivered to students at Sacred Heart High School in Yonkers and Elmont Memorial High School.
- "The Mathematics of Earthquakes" - Talk delivered at the Goudreau Museum of Mathematics in Art and Science, Herricks, New York
- Workshops on "Earthquakes" given to 5th and 6th grade students at the Conference For Kids County Festivals of Knowledge. These workshops were presented at Hofstra University and New York Institute of Technology. They were sponsored by Nassau Boces Gifted and Talented Program.
- "Mathematical Applications in the Secondary School Curriculum" - Talk delivered to the mathematics faculty of the 5 high school comprising the Sewanhaka High School District. They include Floral Park Memorial High School, New Hyde Park Memorial High School, Elmont Memorial High School, Sewanhaka high School and Carey High School.
- "Mathematical Tools Used in Seismology" - Talk delivered at Bayside High School in Queens and James Madison High School in Brooklyn.
Earthquake Engineering Research Institute
Mathematics Association of America
New York State Mathematics Teachers Association
I have served as a member of the Academic Standards Committee
and Discipline Coordinator for Mathematics Department. I am one of the
three faculty advisors for Alpha Chi, the Dowling College Honor Society.
I have an interest in applied
mathematics, specifically differential equations, partial differential
equations, integral transforms, and wave propagation in elastic solids.
This interest extends to the qualitative study of earthquakes, volcanoes
and tsunamis. I also have an interest in military history.
From a non-academic perspective, I am a fan of several sports including
baseball, basketball, football and soccer. The soccer interest stems
from thirteen years of coaching in CYO and the Long Island Junior Soccer