> Dr. Bernadyn Suh
Dr. Bernadyn Suh
Associate Professor of Human Development and Learning
Office: Kramer Science Center Room 305
Phone: 631-244- 3309
School of Education - Human Development and Learning
Oakdale, NY 11769
- Ed.D., Columbia University, Teachers College
- Prof. Diploma, Columbia University, Teachers College
- Prof. Diploma, Dowling College...SAS and SDA certificates
- Masters Degree, Columbia University, Teachers College
- Bachelor of Education, University of Hawaii
Graduate and undergraduate education courses
- Children's Literature
- Social Studies Methods
- Human Relations
- Seminar in Student Teaching
- Language Arts
- Ed and Society
- Supervision of Student Teachers
- Learning Styles
- Creative Arts
- International Perspectives on Teaching and Counseling Gifted and Talented
Adolescents Through Their Learning Styles, my chapter on Korean. Adolescents,
- College Teaching and Learning Styles,ed by Dunn et al. Allyn & Bacon.
- Teaching in the Inner City, ed by Catelli, my chapter on Asian and
Literature: An Instructional Module for Pre-service Teacher Education.
Press Book Publication.
- National Forum Journal, Dormitory Study of Freshmen Learning Syles.
Psychological Reports, An Analysis of Change in Korean-American and Korean
Student's Learning Styles.
- Education, Suh & Traiger, Teaching Values Through Elementary Social
and Literature Curriculum.
- Parents Guide Journal, Parents and Children's Literature: Who, What, When,
Why and How?
- Presentations at the following Mediterranean Conferences:
- "Proven Learning Styles Teaching Methodologies," Castellamare di Stabia, Italy.
- "Western Society as Depicted Through Children's Literature and Social Studies." Istanbul, Turkey.
- "Our Changing View of Childhood Through the Ages and Western Civilization," Carthage, Tunisia.
- Yearly presentations with Dr. Thomas DeBello at the International Learning Styles Network Board meetings in New York City.
- Presentations at the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
at national sites such as: Boston, New Orleans, San Francisco, St. Louis,
Philadelphia, and New York City.
- Social Education Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Pi Lambda Theta, Alpha Epsilon Chapter, Columbia University
- Kappa Delta Pi, Kappa Chapter, Columbia University
I established and founded the Dowling College chapter of Kappa Delta
Pi, the education international honor society in 1979, and was recognized
for my 25 years of service to this organization by the national
I served as national chairperson for the Alumni Relations Committee
attended national meetings sponsored by Kappa Delta Pi . I also served
on the national Budget Committee as a member.
At Dowling College I have served in the following capacities:
- Coordinator of Elementary Education for over ten years.
- Chairperson of the Faculty Personnel Committee for two years and
member for four years.
- Faculty Senate
P.E.O. a philanthropic sorority which sponsors scholarships for international students, and founded and supports Cottey College, a liberal arts college for women in Iowa.
Special Interests and/or Hobbies:
- Family... my two sons and husband, travel, and interesting people.
- Member of the Woodbury United Methodist Church and I support their programs for the poor, elderly, and church functions.
I have been a professor at the following institutions:
Hofstra University, St. John's University and Dowling College.
And I am grateful and glad to be a professor at Dowling College,
which has allowed me to have a wonderful life, meeting
students and working with talented colleagues and staff members.