edTPA General Information:
The edTPA is intended to be used as a summative assessment given at the end of a educator preparation program for teacher licensure or certification and to support state and national program accreditation. edTPA complements existing entry-level assessments that focus on basic skills or subject-matter knowledge. It is comparable to the licensing exams that demand applications of skills in other professions, such medical licensing exams, the architecture exam, or the bar exam in law. It is designed to evaluate how teacher candidates plan and teach lessons in ways that make the content clear and help diverse students learn, assess the effectiveness of their teaching, and adjust teaching as necessary (http://edtpa.aacte.org/about-edtpa).
edTPA is a subject-specific assessment with versions in 27 different teaching fields covering Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle Childhood and Secondary. edTPA includes a review of a teacher candidate’s authentic teaching materials as the culmination of a teaching and learning process that documents and demonstrates each candidate’s ability to effectively teach subject matter to all students (http://edtpa.aacte.org/about-edtpa).
edTPA is the first nationally accessible preservice teacher assessment and support program to:
- Improve student outcomes;
- Improve the information base guiding improvement of teacher preparation programs;
- Strengthen the information base for accreditation and evaluation of program effectiveness;
- Be used in combination with other measures as a requirement for licensure; and
- Guide professional development for teachers across the career continuum.
- edTPA History: http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/PDFs/NYACTE-NYSATE_1Introduction_101712.pdf
- edTPA NYSED Announcements: http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY_annTPA.asp
- edTPA official website: http://edtpa.aacte.org/
Test Preparation Guides and Links: