If you are a high school student and want to come to New York to improve your English and prepare for college, our 10-week intensive and immersive Pre-College Program is perfect for you. The program has the following goals:
The Pre-College Semester in New York City at Dowling Manhattan Center will:
- Help prepare students for their forthcoming college experience in the United States.
- Provide professional preparation in English writing and speaking to help students be better prepared for college in the U.S.
- Will provide students with firsthand experience of the vast culture of New York City.
As part of the program you will:
- Receive intensive training in English writing and composition (ESL Advanced Composition)
- Learn, in the classroom, about the history and culture of New York City (The History and Culture of New York City)
- Experience New York’s rich history and culture through visits to museums (The Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art), Broadway and Off-Broadway plays, historical monuments (the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the Empire State Building, etc.), restaurants, music and art festivals.
- Spend a week at the Dowling campus on Long Island, visiting the ocean, farms, and cultural and historical sites, as well as getting a feel for a college environment.
Give college a kick-start
As a participant in our Pre-College Program we will introduce you to college-level courses, that will be transferrable for credits towards your college degree in the future. The courses we offer may vary from semester to semester but it will include Math, Statistics, Economics, ESL, and the Arts.
- The Pre-College Semester in New York City at the Dowling Manhattan Center classes will be taught by highly credentialed Dowling College professors such as Dr. Andrew Karp (Professor of English, Ph.D. New York University), and Dr. Guannan Li (Associate Professor of History, Ph.D. University of Oregon).
- The Pre-College Semester in New York City at the Dowling Manhattan Center will be administered by experienced Guides/Chaperones, at least one for every 10 students, who will assist and accompany the students in New York City 24/7.
- The program fee for the Pre-College Semester in New York City will be $11,900. The program fee covers tuition and all cultural activities in New York City. Additional activities and excursions, such as visits to prestigious universities in the New England area (Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and MIT) and more expensive activities like Broadway shows, etc. will be offered at an additional cost.
- Admission Criteria
To participate in the Pre-College Semester in New York there are no formal admission criteria other than that students must be at least 17 years old by the time they enter the program. In order to enroll you must also show proof of compulsory immunization and financial guarantee of at least $15,000.
Application and enrollment process
Dowling College Manhattan has adopted a fast and easy two-step application process. After you have submitted your online application we will make an initial assessment and, based on the information you have provided, give you a conditional offer.
If you accept our offer, you must pay the application fee of $50 and submit supporting documents.
Once you have been admitted we will start the process of making sure you get all the information you need to enroll and settle in.