College-wide Policy FAQs


  • Academic Advisement
  • Academic Integrity
  • Budget Processes and Practices
  • Career Readiness and Internships
  • Counseling and Health Services
  • Curriculum Development
  • Facilities
  • Faculty Policies and Practices
  • Financial Aid
  • Registration
  • Student Activities
  • Students with Disabilities
  • TracDat and Assessment
  • Transfer Credit Process
  • Veterans

Policy Change Announcements for the 2015-2016 Academic Year


Academic Advisement

1.  What happens if I notice an error in a transfer credit/something is unbulked?

  • Transcript reviews for freshman and transfer students are evaluated by Admissions
  • Transcript reviews for current students are evaluated by Degree Audit
  • Transcript reviews conducted by Degree Audit should be certified by the Registrar or Associate Registrar
  • Notify Enrollment Transfer Associate: Andrea Mauro at x3052
  • Delay advisement if possible. If you need to advise be mindful of repeating classes

2.  What is the process for course substitution, CORE course substitution, waiver of requisite courses, proficiency credits, appeal transfer credits or any other appeals of this nature?

3.  What is the process for appealing a grade?

  • An appeal can be filed with the ASC (Academic Standards Committee) if the student feels there was not a satisfactory review by the professor.
  • An appeal must be filed with ASC if it is more than a year after grade was given.
  • If a professor finds that they have submitted a grade in error, they can fill out a grade change form and submit to the Registrar’s office.

4.  What is the process for a course substitution?

  • Student brings request to their advisor with Student Appeal Form
  • Advisor brings request to the Department Chair for review
  • Chair delivers approved request to the Dean for review
  • Dean’s office notifies student and degree audit of outcome

5.  What are the implications of various grade designations?

  • W: Use if a student has stopped attending class. You must submit the last date of attendance.
  • WF: Use if a student has stopped attending class after midterms
  • I: Use if a student has regularly attended class but has not completed all coursework. Be sure to reach out to student.
  • NA: Use only if student has NEVER attended a course.
  • Please note: a W grade will impact progress towards degree for Federal and State Aid. It will also impact Veterans’ Benefits.  An F grade will impact progress towards degree for Federal but not State Aid. It will not impact Veterans’ Benefits.

6.  What is the Academic Forgiveness Program?

  • Dowling College will allow an undergraduate student a one-time-only opportunity to discard either a single course or one entire semester’s grades from counting toward their GPA. However, the course selected, or all courses taken during the selected semester, will still appear on the student’s transcript, and count toward: (a) fulfilling degree requirements, (b) progress toward degree completion, and (c) relevant financial aid calculations that are not related to the GPA.
  • This institutional policy may not apply towards the GPA requirements of individual departments and/or schools (e.g., student teaching minimum GPA, departmental honors, etc.). Students should check with their respective departments and/or schools with regard to their GPA policies and requirements.
  • In order for any student of sophomore or junior standing to apply for Academic Forgiveness, the student must be in overall good academic standing prior to the semester that is being requested for forgiveness. Transfer students of sophomore or junior standing are exempted from the prior good academic standing requirement during their first semester at Dowling and may request to have that semester forgiven.
    • The “Course Forgiveness” option is only applicable to a single course that is completed prior to the student having accumulated 30 total credits, and where the course grade is D or F.
    • The “Semester Forgiveness” option is only applicable to a single semester that is completed prior to the student having accumulated 90 total credits, and where the student’s GPA is less than 2.0 for the selected semester.
  • The decision to forgive a course or semester must be made before the end of the semester immediately following either the semester the course was taken in or the semester the student is asking to be forgiven. Students wishing to seek either of the forgiveness options must apply to the Academic Standards Committee, which reserves the right to approve or deny any request. Applications must be made with strict adherence to the requirements of the forgiveness policy as stated above. In no case will a student be approved for both single course forgiveness and semester forgiveness during the duration of their academic studies at Dowling College.

7.  What is the Pass/No Credit Option?

  • A student can use the pass/no credit option for up to 6 credits. The decision needs to be made before the 8th week of the semester (or midpoint in Summer/Winter) by notifying the Registrar.

8.  How does a student Add/Drop classes?

  • The student needs to fill out an Add/Drop Form and meet with their Faculty Advisor. It is required to get the Faculty Advisor’s signature.
  • The student will bring it to the Registrar’s Office to submit it.
  • If the class is added after the first day of class, A.) the material that was missed should be discussed with the instructor of the course and B.) confirmation is given that there is still room in the class for the student.
  • Once those issues are resolved, the instructor can sign a pink add slip and the slip is submitted to the Registrar by the student.

9. What constitute a Medical Withdrawal?

  • If a medical issue has interfered with a student’s ability to attend class and complete the work, they can submit a signed statement from a medical doctor verifying that there is an interfering medical issue with accompanying medical documentation. This is submitted to the Bursar’s office for review and approval. A form requesting a Medical Withdrawal is submitted with the medical documentation.

10.  Changing a major

11.  Non classroom credit/credit for work outside the classroom

  • The following is acceptable in lieu of traditional course work that can be applied towards an undergraduate degree: a. Exams administered by recognized educational agencies (CLEP, AP); b. Dowling College administered exams in lieu of course work; c. non-collegiate programs that have been evaluated for college credit by recognized educational agencies; d. Non-collegiate programs that have been evaluated for college credit by Dowling College faculty; e. Portfolio Assessment
  • Students can receive a maximum of 30 proficiency credits.
  • Students must apply through the Office of Enrollment for such credits prior to the completion of 18 credits at the Dowling College.

Academic Integrity

1.  What to do if a student plagiarizes?

  • The faculty is encouraged to report all instances of cheating in writing to the Chief Student Affairs Officer- Thomas Daly, Dean of Students and Academic Standards Committee on which some action has been taken. Please refer to pg. 26 of Student Handbook
  • Penalty is at discretion of professor. Can range from failing a course to failing an assignment to redoing an assignment
  • Multiple violations can result in more severe punishment at discretion of the Chief Student Affairs Officer (currently the Dean of Student Affairs-Thomas Daly) at x3058 and can be appealed through the Campus Hearing Board.
  • Please refer to page 34 in Student Handbook for the Appeals Process.

Budget Processes and Practices

1. How do I get reimbursed for expenses?

  1. Check budget
  2. Go to the Faculty page
  3. Click Forms & Policies
  4. Click Expense Reports
  5. Fill out expense reports; provide original receipts with Fund/Acct/Org #s.
  6. Submit original report and receipts to your supervisor within 30 days for approval.
  7. Keep copies
  8. This link for this procedure is:

Career Readiness and Internships

1.  What is the process for a student to apply for an internship?

  • The student fills out the following Cooperative Education/Internship Application Form and submit to Career Services FH 106 for approval. There are GPA and credit completion requisites.
  • The process for internships can be found on the Internship Opportunities website
  • Register for the course when applicable. Please note that internships for academic credit must be registered within the first six weeks of the academic term in which the internship is arranged.
  • Students enrolled in a non-credit internship (paid or non-paid) must meet with an Internship Associate throughout the internship term.
  • Faculty assigned grades are only released upon verification of completed coursework by Career Services.

Counseling and Health Services

1.  If I am concerned about a student’s well-being or emotional state, or they are acting oddly or expressing themselves in a troubling manner (either in writing or verbally) what can I do to help them?

  • You can meet with them privately and tell express your concern/observations, encouraging them to make an appointment with the Counseling Center.
  • You can contact Denise Ingenito, LCSW at x3455 or via email to make her aware, mutually assess the situation.
  • Outreach can be done directly from the Counseling Center.

2.  Will the counselor be able to provide me with any helpful information to effectively educate a student I am concerned about or is that covered by FERPA/HIPPA?

  • Under FERPA/HIPPA laws, the counselor is permitted to share information without the student’s consent within the institution that is relevant to coordinating the student’s academic needs.
  • Please refer to the following link for the full FERPA regulations
  • If there is an indication that there is a “life and death” situation, information is automatically shared to those individuals that would need to know. This could include Campus Security, School Administrators, outside law enforcement or health care providers and parents.

3.  Could I use the Counseling Center for consultation or to acquire community resources?

  • Whether it is for a student or yourself, we will do our best to provide any information, referrals and resources that is needed.

4.  Is someone from the Counseling Center available to come into my class to speak about mental health issues or to assist with an issue in the classroom?

  • Yes! If there is a need to speak about a mental health topic (Addiction, relationship violence, health issues, etc), someone from the Counseling Center can do this. Also, a counselor can attend a class to offer support or be a presence if a delicate topic is being addressed (ie. A lecture on 9/11) or if support is needed for someone who is phobic about speaking in front of the class.

5.  What if a student does not want to speak to a counselor in the office?

  • A counselor could meet with the student in any private safe place on campus other than their dorm room.

6.  Is there a limited number of counseling sessions the student is entitled to and is there a cost for the sessions?

  • The number of sessions are determined based on necessity and there is no cost. In the event that an issue is greater than what basic counseling on campus can provide or outside the scope of the counselor’s expertise, appropriate referrals will be made for more intensive services.

7.  What is the Immunization Policy at Dowling and how might that impact the student if they are out of compliance with the policy?

  • New York State Public Health Law (NYS PHL) 2165, effective June 1989, requires that you (the student) must demonstrate proof of immunity against measles, mumps and rubella. Students born on or after January 1, 1957 must comply.
  • The New York State law also requires that a Meningococcal Immunization OR Meningitis Waiver is signed and on record.
  • Dowling College also requires record of a PPD within the last year that reads negative OR a chest Xray that verifies a negative exposure to Tuberculosis OR medical documentation that the person successfully completed treatment for an exposure to Tuberculosis.
  • The information is submitted to the Health Office and recorded in Banner.
  • There is a 30 day window after the first day of class attendance to get the proper immunization records in.
  • After the 30 day window, as per NYS law, the student is disenrolled from the college.
  • This means Registrar puts an additional hold on their account that the student is prohibited from attending class and each professor the student has class with is notified of the student’s status.
  • Upon receipt of the immunization records, the Registrar is given written notification from Health Services that the student is in compliance and can reinstate the student.
  • The professors are then notified of the reinstatement.

8.  What happens if there is a suspected exposure of an infectious disease on campus?

  • This needs to be reported immediately to either Marie Capo, RN or Denise Ingenito, Director of Counseling, Health and Wellness x3455 for further followup.
  • If it is determined that there is an actual exposure of an infectious disease, Administration and appropriate authorities will be immediately notified and the proper protocol for securing the campus will be enacted based on the type of exposure.
  • A list of at risk students are kept and will be notified immediately if an actual exposure occurs in order to maintain their safety, followed by notification to the rest of the college community, as needed.

Curriculum Development

1.  How can I make a new course proposal?

  • Go to SCC Form to download and complete SCC form to be submitted for a regular course and to download and complete FCC form to be submitted for a core course.
  • The department writes the course and submits it to the SCC for approval.
  • It also needs to be submitted for approval to FCC, if it is a Core class.
  • Approved course proposal is submitted by the SCC chair to the Dean. The Dean submits it to the Provost Office for placement on the FAS agenda(to be added to the blue book for oversight and FAS can return course back for comments) and to acknowledge that the Dean and Registrar have reviewed the new course.

2.  How can I propose a new program?


1.  How do I reserve a room on campus  for an event (other than a classroom)?

  • Check room schedules to determine if there is an opening.
  • Download Fill out room request forms:
    Brookhaven Campus Room Request Form
    Oakdale Campus Room Request Form
  • Submit to Becky Delafano x1334 for approval.
  • An approval confirmation # will be forwarded to you by Becky
  • To reserve a classroom, Registrar must be contacted to determine an open classroom at the time you need.
  • To book the School of Business Conference Room (LRC 4th Floor), call Maryellen Bridgwood at x3190
  • Click to reserve the Oakdale Library Conference Room
  • The Kramer Science Center Conference room can be booked by contacting Patti Zerafa x3011

Faculty Policies and Practices 

1.  What do I need to do to plan a field trip or event off campus?

  • If a trip is off campus and college transportation is not being used, students need to fill out and submit and Transportation waiver form.
  • For overnight trips, the students would complete the waiver of liability form.
  • SGA sanctioned clubs receive approval for their trips when they submit their budget proposals to the Executive Board for approval.
  • For non-club off campus trips, arrangements can also be made to utilize the Dowling Shuttle locally for a large group through Campus Safety.

Financial Aid

1.  How does a student apply for financial aid?

  • They complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a Renewal FAFSA using FAFSA on the Web. We strongly encourage this method of applying since it is faster and generally more accurate because the online version has built-in edits.It is suggested that a student apply for financial aid at the same time, or even before, the student applies for admission.

2.  What happens after the student applies?

  • Once the FAFSA is complete, it will be processed and the student will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). The results of theFAFSA will be electronically sent to the Financial Aid Department. The FAFSA will be reviewed and a Financial Aid Award Letter will be prepared and mailed to the student describing all of the eligible financial aid sources.

3.  Does the FAFSA have to be filled out every year?

  • Yes.

4.  How will my financial aid be applied to the student’s bill?

  • Dowling College will provide a temporary credit on your student bill for the funds  for which you have satisfied all program eligibility requirements and requested paperwork.  The awards will be applied as follows:
    • Federal Grants and Institutional Aid:  Dowling College Academic grant and scholarship funds will be credited directly to your account each semester.  Institutional and federal need based grants will be credited directly to your student account each semester once you have met all institutional and federal fund eligibility requirements.
    • Loan Funds:  If you receive a Federal Student/Private Loan, most lenders will send the funds directly through electronic funds transfer to Dowling College for the amount borrowed minus fees in accordance with your loan disclosure.  Funds will be credited directly to your student account each semester once we confirm that you have met all loan eligibility requirements.  In some cases the lender of a Private loan will forward funds in the form of a check made payable to the student and Dowling College. Students whose lenders send checks will be notified to visit the Financial Aid Department to endorse their loan check.
    • State Funds: State grants/scholarships will be credited directly to your student account each semester, once you have met all fund eligibility and application requirements.

5.  What if a student withdraws or drops below full-time study, will it affect their financial aid?                                

  • The student’s aid may be affected if there is a change in enrollment status.  The student’s awards may have to be reduced or cancelled entirely. Students are encouraged to visit the Financial Aid Department if they have any questions about how the change in enrollment status will impact their financial aid.

6.  What determines satisfactory academic progress towards degree requirements to maintain financial aid         

  • The Federal Government has required that students need to prove satisfactory progress towards their college degree in order to maintain Federal Financial Aid. The chart below indicates what constitutes satisfactory progress. See below.

7.  Is there a financial penalty for withdrawing from a class?

  • Fall & Spring Semesters Reimbursement/Reduction of Tuition Liability
    • Prior to First Week of Class: 100% credit of tuition / 0% Credit of Fees
    • First Week of Class: 90% credit of tuition / 0% Credit of Fees
    • Second Week of Class: 65% credit of tuition / 0% Credit of Fees
    • Third Week of Class 40% credit of tuition / 0% Credit of Fees
    • Fourth Week of Class: 20% credit of tuition / 0% Credit of Fees
    • Fifth Week of Class: No adjustment of tuition/No refund
  • Winter & Summer Sessions Reimbursement/Reduction of Tuition Liability
    • Prior to First Day of Class: 100% credit of tuition / 0% Credit of Fees
    • First Day of Class: 90% credit of tuition / 0% Credit of Fee
    • Second Day of Class: 65% credit of tuition / 0% Credit of Fees
    • During the 3rd day of the term: 40% credit of tuition
    • During the 4th day of the term: 20% credit of tuition
    • Thereafter: No adjustment of tuition/no refund


1.  What is the Pass/No Credit Option?

  • A student can use the pass/no credit option for up to 6 credits. The decision needs to be made before the 8th week of the semester (or midpoint in Summer/Winter) by notifying the Registrar.

2.  How does a student Add/Drop classes?

  • The student needs to fill out an Add/Drop Form and meet with their Faculty Advisor. It is required to get the Faculty Advisor’s signature.
  • The student will bring it to the Registrar’s Office to submit it.
  • If the class is added after the first day of class, A.) the material that was missed should be discussed with the instructor of the course and B.) confirmation is given that there is still room in the class for the student.
  • Once those issues are resolved, the instructor can sign a pink add slip and the slip is submitted to the Registrar by the student.

3. What constitute a Medical Withdrawal?

  1. Medical Withdrawals (MW) will only be granted in the semester in which they are requested. Dowling College will not grant a retroactive MW.
  2. Students requesting a MW must submit an explanatory note or a detailed diagnosis from a qualified medical professional to the Director of Counseling, Health and Wellnesss (DCHW) explaining the need for one.
  3. DCHW will evaluate note/diagnosis from medical professional and make a recommendation to the Dean of Students.
  4. Dean of Students will approve or deny DCHW recommendation and notify student of decision.

If approved:

  • Student will be coded as “MD,” which stands for “Medical Drop.”
  • Upon receipt of explanatory note, Dean of Student’s approval and review of comments on Banner, Registrar will process request and keep all documents in student’s file.
  • Dean of Students notifies Financial Aid, Registrar and Bursar of his or her recommendation.
    1. Financial Aid and Bursar will conduct a review of the impact of medical withdrawal on student aid and billing.
    2. After review, Financial Aid and Bursar will make notes in SPACMNT stating the impact of the MW. If there is no impact, then that should be entered.
    3. If there is a financial impact of the MW with regard to FA or with regard to monies owed/refunded, then a copy of the the comments from SPACMT and a revised bill will be sent to student by certified mail.
  • Courses with this code will not be counted towards GPA or towards attempted credits for the purposes of Financial Aid or Institutional Aid calculations.
  • The Registrar will contact all professors to inform them of the medical withdrawal and to determine Last Date of Attendance.

If denied

  1. Student may appeal to Provost
  2. Provost decision final

4.  Changing a major

Student Activities

1.  What are the responsibilities of a Student Club Advisor?

  • To be a club advisor you must be a member of the Dowling College staff or faculty.
  • Club advisors have the responsibility to ensure that their club complies with all rules and regulations set by Dowling College and its Board of Trustees.
  • Club advisors are to participate in the day-to-day business of the club solely in capacity for advisement. Advisors are not to interfere with, or mandate the day-to-day business of the club or organization. This includes the scheduling and planning of club events, as well as forming the annual club budget.
  • Advisors are required to attend any off campus or overnight trips held by the club. The cost of the transportation and lodging for the club advisor as well as a guest will be included in the club’s budget.
  • Advisors will find themselves bound to all rules and regulations of the Student Government Association. Also, all advisors must sign an Advisor Event Sign-Off sheet per event that the club is sponsoring.
  • The advisor position is a one year commitment unless invited to stay on by the club president; club presidents have the right to appoint new advisors each year.

2.  How can a Dowling van be accessed for an off-campus event/trip?

  • If a college van is used for an off site trip, the driver has to be a college approved driver.
  • To become an approved van driver, one must watch a DVD
  • Take a road test in the Dowling van with a designated individual
  • Agree to have a driver’s license history check completed by the college.
  • Once the license check comes back clean and forms are submitted, the person is considered an approved van driver for the duration of their tenure with the college.
  • Sign out the van using the Dowling College SGA Van form.

Students with Disabilities

1.  What if a student tells me that they have a disability and need accommodations?

  • The student must meet with the Director of Disability Services and “Self Identify”. This means they provide documentation of their disability (ie. IEP or medication evaluation).
  • They are then given a form to give to each of their professors to inform them of accommodations that are necessary.
  • The Office of Disability Services coordinates the accommodations with the professor and student.
  • Contact Jane Ventimiglia x3144 with Hausman Center and/or Lucianna Basilice x1185 with Academic Access Program

TracDat and Assessment

1.  What is the process for evaluating campus events such as workshops or speakers?

  • When you have an event that you are sponsoring, please click on Office of Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness.
  • Click the Assessment link and you will see an Event Summary Survey.
  • Click on the link for the Event Summary Survey.
  • Please make copies for the number you are anticipating at your event and then distribute to attendees at the conclusion of the event.
  • Forward completed surveys to my office for summary analysis.

2.  What is Trac Dat and how do I enter my data?

  • Department heads are responsible for collecting data on their department’s initiatives and input results into Trac Dat.
  • Department heads will ask their staff to collect data as appropriate and necessary.

Transfer Credit Process

1. What is the transfer credit process?

  • Admissions evaluates new incoming transfer students only, and creates and saves the worksheet in the shared “K” drive. An unofficial worksheet is given to each new transfer student.
  • The transfer team only bulks credits that are from official transcripts.
  • The transfer team does not bulk credits from unofficial transcripts, however, they are reflected on the student’s unofficial worksheet.
  • If courses are still in progress on unofficial or official transcripts, a hold is entered in Banner in SOAHOLD. The hold is entered as a Registrar hold (CR-courses in progress). The transfer team enters this in SPACMNT as well. A hold is also entered for missing High School transcripts, and AP scores. The hold indicates which transcripts are missing.
  • Transfer credits are not bulked from courses in progress on the transcript. These courses are reflected in red on the worksheet, but are not added in the final transfer count until the updated and official transcripts are received. Courses in progress are also noted at the top of the worksheet.
  • Transfer credit for courses with a grade of “C-“ or “D” are only granted if the student provides an official transcript with proof of an Associate’s Degree awarded.
  • Courses with a grade of “C-“ or “D” are not transferable from a four year school, nor from a two year school if the student does not hold an Associate’s Degree.
  • A maximum of 60 credits may be transferred in from a two year school, with or without an Associate’s Degree.
  • A maximum of 90 credits may be transferred in from a four year institution.
  • New transfer students must provide at least one letter of reference and an essay upon registration.
  • The last 30 degree credits must be completed at Dowling College.

2. How do I change transfer credit equivalences?

  • Faculty advisors should not change any transfer credits on student worksheets in terms of altering the equivalency of such credits with any Dowling courses. If the faculty advisor believes that a transfer credit has been incorrectly assigned equivalency with a Dowling course, he/she should contact the office of Degree Audit and work with that office to effect the correction, if required.
  • If the change is approved by Degree Audit, the faculty advisor must:
    • Request the student’s file from the registrar
    • Make the appropriate change on the transfer transcript, and sign it
    • Bring the file back to the registrar’s office to have the change implemented
  • Under no circumstances should the faculty advisor change the equivalency of transfer credits without consulting with the office of Degree Audit.




1.  How does a Veteran start the process of being admitted under their GI Bill Benefits?

  • Student Veteran must meet with Veteran Affairs Coordinator Mike Wern x3088  to review  available benefits and to determine credits being transferred towards degree.
  • You will then need to launch VONAPP to apply for benefits. When you use this site, your Application will be sent directly to the VA Regional Office with jurisdiction over your application.
  • The student should print a copy of the application for their records and provide a copy to the Veterans Affairs Office.
  • Once the form is submitted to the VA, the student will receive an automatic email informing the student they have received the application.
  • When the VA processes the application with the necessary supporting documentation, a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) will be mailed to the student.
  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) Certificate of Eligibility letters will provide the eligibility percentage. The student will need to provide a copy of the COE to Mike Wern, Veteran Affairs Coordinator.
  • If the student is less than 100% eligibility under Chapter 33, the student must establish a payment method for the portion the VA will not pay. (Including filling out FAFSA and getting additional Financial Aid)
  • The Dowling College VA Certifying Official (VCO) uses the electronic certification program to report all pertinent information concerning your enrollment to the DVA. Once enrollment has been certified to the VA, they will send a confirmation email to the student.  It takes approximately six to ten weeks for the VA to process initial enrollment claims andre-enrollments.