BS in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Train to become an ESL Teacher at Dowling College.
New undergraduate degree program allows you to receive New York State initial certification in TESOL
Is Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) your passion?
TESOL Certified Teachers are in demand!
The U.S. Department of Education’s listing of teacher shortage areas indicates that there is a New York statewide public school shortage of TESOL teachers.
Combine your passion with this demand and make a SMART career choice.
While most TESOL programs offered in New York State are graduate programs, Dowling’s Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in TESOL degree program gives you initial Pre K–12 teaching certification without having to earn an advanced degree.
Dowling’s B.S. in TESOL
- Program can be completed in four years of study.
- Classes held at Dowling’s Rudolph-Oakdale and Brookhaven Campuses, and several courses are also available online.
- Acquire the theoretical background, methodological training, and practical experience to effectively teach speaking, reading, writing, and communication in English to speakers of other languages.
Major Requirements (48 Credits)
In addition, students must also complete 12 credits of a language other than English; all requirements for a second major in arts and sciences, resulting in a dual major; the college-wide requirements; and the core curriculum.
Why choose Dowling College?
- The Dowling College School of Education is well-known across the tri-state area for maintaining a high standard of excellence in teacher preparation. When you come to Dowling for your education degree, you learn from the best.
- We train more teachers than any other college or university on Long Island.
- We have one of the highest percentages of student-teacher placements among all Long Island colleges, and a remarkable record of placing graduates in full-time tenure-track positions in the area’s top school districts.
- We have internationally known faculty and the vast majority of faculty members have earned doctorate degrees in their area of expertise.
- We rank within the top 10% of New York State colleges in the number of teachers achieving New York State certification.
- Dowling College’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- Class sizes are small (typically 25 students or fewer), and classes are taught by world-class professors, not teaching assistants.
Want to learn more?
We want to hear from you! For more information about Dowling’s B.S. in TESOL, please contact Dr. Clyde Payne at 631.244.3286 or PayneC@Dowling.edu. You can also call our Office of Enrollment Services directly at 631.244.3303 to submit your application for admission.