Study Abroad

Study at a University or Program in another Country

As a student at Dowling College, you can take a holiday (winter or summer), one semester, or as much as a year to study in another country. Most of the time, the program you take can give you credit toward your degree – and if you are eligible for financial aid, your grant or loan may be used to help pay the costs.

Where can I go?

Dowling College offers you access to programs for studying in other countries. The principal programs are Auckland University of Technology (AUT) in Auckland, New Zealand; Kyonggi University in Seoul, Korea; Osaka University in Osaka, Japan; Malmo University in Malmo, Sweden; University of Lima in Lima, Peru; HZ University in Vlissingen, The Netherlands. Some programs are offered by Universities with whom Dowling College has an exchange agreement,and some are offered by specialized Study Abroad Provider organizations.

You must have written documentation that states the exact Dowling College courses that are equivalent to the courses you will be taking in the desired university. Once that is done, the courses must be approved by your advisor. In order for the study abroad courses to transfer in, a minimum grade of a “C” is required. Be certain to have an official transcript sent to Dowling College upon completion of your courses.

These are the international universities which have exchange agreements with Dowling College: (Click on the name of the college to go to the school website.)

  • Auckland University of Technology (AUT) – in Auckland, New Zealand. A guide to New Zealand can be found here. If you are interested in participating in this exchange program, please contact Professor Mark Greer, or contact the Study Abroad Office.
  • The University of Lima – in Lima, Peru, near the centers of the Inca civilization of South America. The university setting is in the heart of the commercial district of Lima, near beautiful beaches and gives you an opportunity to get university credit while expanding your knowledge of the Spanish language. To see a slideshow from the University of Lima, click here. You can also speak with Professor Isaac Rosler at
  • Kyonggi University – in Seoul, Korea.
  • Malmo University – in Malmo, Sweden. To see a slideshow from Malmo University, click here. You can also speak with Professor Carlos Cunha about this University (;
  • Osaka University – in Osaka, Japan. To see a slideshow from Osaka University, click here.
  • HZ University of Applied Sciences – in the Netherlands is the institute of higher professional education in the Dutch province of Zeeland on the Dutch coast. It is uniquely located on the beautiful Zeeland coastline. Hogeschool Zeeland offers proven quality of education. The greater part of the college’s study programs ranks among the top ten of the Netherlands. The town of Vlissingen is a medium-sized tourist and student town. Sun, sea and beach characterize this pleasant place. Vlissingen offers everything you need for a wonderful student life!


There are many other resources for programs

Some are worth examining very carefully and some less so. One of the best places to begin is with the IIE Passport website of the Institute for International Education for a broad listing of programs and providers, as well as scholarship and other useful information.

What do I do next?

Meet with an International Admissions Counselor in the Admissions Office, Fortunoff Hall and fill out a Study Abroad Application. We will go through the entire process of arranging for a program abroad, and arrange for you to meet a Financial Aid Advisor.

And then you will be off for what has been described as the most challenging, life-changing, and exciting experience you have ever had!

If you would like further information about participating in an exchange program, please contact:

Admissions Office
Fortunoff Hall
Dowling College
150 Idle Hour DriveOakdale, NY 11769
(631) 244-3303 or via email at