Advanced Certificate in School District Leader
Advanced Certificate in School District Leader (SDL)
(HEGIS Code) 0828
CIP Code and description: 130404
Entrants into the School District Leader (SDL) program must complete 21 credits in the Dowling College School Building Leader Advanced Certificate Program and an internship as a school building leader and must have completed three years of classroom teaching service and/or pupil personnel service experience, in public or non-public schools N-12, permanent/professional teaching certification, and have completed a Master’s degree.
|I. Required Courses||21 credits|
|EDE 8701||Educational Administration|
|EDE 8711||School Law|
|EDE 8722||Supervision of Instruction|
|EDE 8731||Educational Research|
|EDE 8732||Curriculum Development|
|EDE 8737||School District Administrator|
|EDE 8738||Public School Finance and Budget|
|II. Elective||3 credits|
|EDE 8721||Personnel Administration|
|EDE 8733||Educational Assessment|
|EDE 8736||Special Education Administrator|
|EDE 8741||Computers for the Educational Administrator|
|III. Internship||6 credits|
|EDE 8791||Internship I|
|EDE 8792||Internship II
(Prerequisites: 50% of required courses must be completed)
The Internship is offered during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
|IV. Comprehensive Examination|
|All candidates for the Advanced Certificate Programs in Educational Administration who enroll after September 1, 2004, must pass a digital portfolio comprehensive examination and the New York State license examination.|
NYS Certification Requirements:
- You must have completed 3 years of classroom teaching service and/or pupil personnel service experience, in public or non-public schools N-12, and hold a permanent/professional teaching certification
- You are required to complete 175 hours of professional development every 5 years.
- You will need 3 years experience in leadership including a least one-year experience as a school leader to obtain professional certification.
- You are required to complete the NYSTCE leadership assessment for the initial certification
- Completion of Fingerprinting, workshops in school violence and intervention and in child abuse.